Home Consular Services Local Danish Organizations Links Contact Us

Consular Services - Student Permit

If you wish to apply for a residence permit as a student, both you and the educational institution in Denmark must supply information for the processing of your application.

It is the educational institution in Denmark who begins the application process by completing part 2 of the application form and attaching the required documents. The educational institution sends the form and attached documents to you. Then you complete part 1 of the form, attach the required documents, and submit the entire application to:

Danish Consulate General
885 Second Avenue, 18th floor (48th Street)
New York, NY 10017
Tel: (212) 223-4545

Fee for submitting an application NEW!

From 1 January 2011 onwards, in addition to the fee presented to the Consulate General, a fee will normally have to be paid directly to the Danish Immigration Service in order for your application to be processed. The fee can either be paid by you (the applicant) or by another person, such as an individual in Denmark. If you have not paid the fee to the Immigration Service your application will be rejected. Please include documentation indicating that you have paid the fee, e.g. bank wire receipts. Read more about Fees.

What to submit

Applicants should submit the following documentation a minimum of 2-3 months prior to departure.

The application form contains a detailed description of how you and the educational institution should complete the form, and which documents you must attach, beyond that you must submit the following:

  1. An application form completed and signed. Application form ST1.
  2. Two (2) recent passport photos (U.S. passport size). See photo requirements.
  3. Valid original passport and a copy of the passport (all pages including front page)
    Passport must be valid at least 3 months other travel documents at least 6 months beyond the expiration date of the visa applied for.
  4. Documentation of fee paid to the Danish Immigration Service How to pay fee
  5. Proof (original documents) that the applicant can support him-/herself financially while in Denmark. A minimum of $ 830 per month is required (bank statement, grant, approved loan). Funds must be in students own name only. No joint account is acceptable.
  6. Notarized letter of consent from parents and a copy of the Birth Certificate if applicant is under 18 years of age.
  7. Fee to the Consulate General (See list of Fees)

Please indicate your daytime phone numbers on the form.


The Consulate General advises against making any final travel arrangements, particularly purchase of non-refundable air tickets for a specific date, prior to approval of your application.

No Fee

No fee for Japanese passport holders.

Read more about the possibilities of studying in Denmark in our About Denmark section here.

© Copyright 2012 Royal Danish Consulate of Denmark in Salt Lake City. All rights reserved.